2020 marks New Canaan Garden Club’s 100th Anniversary of being a member of the Garden Club of America. NCGC was founded by six forward-thinking New Canaan women in 1909. It was the third garden club to be organized in the United States.
The mission of New Canaan Garden Club is “to stimulate the love of gardening among its members and the members of the community, to promote conservation and to encourage civic planning and beautification.” Joining the Garden Club of America (which was founded in 1913) led to NCGC’s involvement in national issues relating to conservation and the environment.
NCGC’s conservation and civic projects have included numerous plantings of trees throughout our town, restoration of the Historical Society Herb Garden, the Waveny Park Walled Garden, the Peony Walk and most recently the Par Terre Garden connected to Waveny House’s back terrace. The Club was also involved in the renovation of the Bristow Bird Sanctuary and Wildlife Preserve. Since 2003, the Club has worked with the town to beautify and protect the environmental integrity of Irwin Park. The most recent project was the completion of the flexi-pave walkway encircling the park. The club is also committed to Horticultural Therapy at Waveny Care Center and to working with the Beautification League in decorating the town for the Holidays.
Regarding this most recent milestone for New Canaan Garden Club, Co-Presidents Lauren Bromberg and Anda Hutchins commented: “We are so proud and honored to be such long-standing members of the Garden Club of America. The GCA not only provides us with an enormous amount of educational support but it also is an active force in the promotion of environmental awareness and the preservation of our natural resources. This is something that continues to be of critical importance today as it was in 1913.”